Melbourne Airport is serviced by around 30 international airlines, and is just a 25 minute drive from the city. Fly direct to Melbourne from London in 21.5 hours, or from North America with fly time between 15 (ex Los Angeles) and 20 hours (ex New York/Toronto). From New Zealand, fly direct (ex Auckland) in approximately 3.5 hours.
Qantas, Virgin Australia, Jetstar and Tiger are the major domestic carriers which run services from Australia’s major cities. Jetstar also flies from Avalon Airport near Geelong. Regional airlines Qantas Link and REX (Regional Express) fly to Melbourne and larger regional centres including Mildura, Portland, Traralgon and Mount Hotham.
On site services include shops and tax free shopping for international travellers, lockers, ATMs, currency exchange, restaurants, bars, information and car rental desks and, for departing travellers, a refund booth to reclaim Goods and Services Tax (GST) on some goods. There is also parking, for a fee.
Three hotels are within a five minute walk of airport terminals. Choose from the Parkroyal, Holiday Inn and Ibis budget.
T1 – Qantas domestic
T2 – International
T3 – Virgin Australia domestic
T4 – Jetstar, Tigerair and Regional Express Airlines (REX) domestic
The check in time for International departures is approximately 2.5 hours before the flight's scheduled departure. Check in time for domestic departures is 1 hour before the flight's scheduled departure. For more information please check with your airline.
To and from Tullamarine
Melbourne Airport is approximately 20 kilometres or 25 minutes northwest of the city and can be easily reached by car, taxi or bus.
- Car rental company booking desks are located at the Airport.
- Taxis are readily available outside the terminals and a trip to the city will cost around AUD$60.
- Skybus provides direct airport bus service to the city and back again. Buses run 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every 10–15 minutes in the day and every 30–60 minutes at night. Buy Skybus tickets at the Airport or online. For bus services to other parts of Victoria, visit the Travellers Information Desk.
Avalon Airport has a cafe, bar, gift shop, family area, information desk, and ample parking (free for 40 minutes).
Flight check in desks open two hours prior to departure and close 30 minutes before the flight is scheduled to leave.
To and from Avalon
Avalon Airport is 55 km from central Melbourne (a 45 minute drive), and 19 km from central Geelong (a 15 minute drive).
- The approximate taxi fare to/from Geelong is $54, or $112 from Melbourne.
- SkyBus Avalon City Express coaches operate between Avalon, Werribee and Melbourne's Southern Cross Station. For price and timetables, visit SkyBus.
- Avalon Airport Shuttle runs between Avalon and Geelong, the Bellarine Peninsula, Surfcoast and the Great Ocean Road. For detailed information on destinations, price and timetables, visit Avalon Airport Shuttle.
- Car Rental companies Budget, Avis, Europcar, Thrifty and Hertz operate at Avalon.